TopRank’s top UK influencers + bloggers list. 4 reasons I’m on it (that you can apply too)
What makes this list so special is, rather than ranking blog sites (where there may be several blog contributors) TopRank researched individual bloggers. They recognize that it’s not just the content we produce but the act of sharing useful content on social media and around the internet.
Afterall, that’s what makes the www. go ‘round.
The list was pulled together via nominations and using Traackr (a tool that identifies influencers online) to measure the reach and relevance of their content.
To make the list, a blogger needed to write consistently about online marketing and have an engaged audience.
So said Lee Odden of TopRank…
How did I get on that list? Here are 4 reasons why I think I made it that will serve you well in your own blog marketing…
1. I approach it like a client meeting
I update my blog every.single.week (on Friday). It’s a non-negotiable activity in my business. My folks all around the internet have come to rely on my commitment and I’m happy to oblige.
Yes, it’s that important!
Because I’m connecting with potential clients, customers and super fans who will help spread the knowledge and advice that I share. And that’s amazing!
2. Fresh baked content with preservatives
New content on my site brings me a steady stream of people – returning visitors and new – to check out what I have to say. (Think about it, if you have nothing new on your site why would anyone visit it?) But that’s just part of my strategy…
Many of my articles are ‘evergreen’ by that I mean they are not date specific and never become stale.
If what I write is as relevant a year after it was first published it helps more people and gets shared more often. This amplifies me and my brand while introducing me to even more potential customers and raving fans without any additional work from me. Which means FAR more return for my original time investment. Win-win.
3. I write for people like you + me
What I write is simplistic for good reason: I’m not in the business of impressing other internet marketers.
I get a whole lot more satisfaction assisting those who need it: small business owners and solo entrepreneurs who don’t talk ROI, ‘share of voice’ and SEO. They just want to know the tactics for finding more business using social media and some smart tricks to make that easier.
So, I keep to that reliable marketing acronym: K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, superstar!)
4. I understand the invisible stuff
By that I mean the bits and pieces that help me get found in search (also known as SEO) and the subliminal benefits of what’s on the page. Let me explain…
Writing the article itself is just part of the process. Once that’s done, you have to work on these vital areas before your blog is finished:
- The headline: it’s either got to grab attention like your favourite gossip mag or include terms that people search for in Google. Without the click your post won’t get the read.
- Formatting: reading online is different. People are busy. Skim reading is prolific so your content needs to be skimable. Massive blocks of text is the death knell for your blog.
- Images: take 3 of the 4 big social networks: Facebook, Pinterest and Google+. They all display a thumbnail of the image you use in your post when you share it. THAT makes it stand out.
- Tags: this is the SEO bit and I’m not going to go into detail here. Just know that tags, keywords, meta data, categories, image tags are all important additions to your blog (and it’s MUCH easier than you think).
- Tell people: share it. A lot. And ask others to share it, and give them the tools on your blog to make that really easy for them.
The best thing for me
Blogging keeps me on point. It stretches me to stay ahead with current trends and thinking. That means I’m better informed and that means I can serve my clients with the best advice possible.
What’s more, I LOVE what I do: connecting with others and teaching them how to connect with their folks too. I’m a walking, talking demonstration that it doesn’t have to be hard (and I think it shows).
So, if you love what you do, it should come easy. Seriously, technology doesn’t have to stand in your way.
You can see the full list right here: TopRanks Top 50 UK Online Marketing Bloggers
What about you?
Do you agree with these points? What makes you a better blogger? Leave a comment below or if this has been useful please share with your social media friends. Thanks!
Never ever miss another update! Sign up for your free modern
marketing tips here...
STOP second guessing and learn the marketing secrets you need to make money online...